Mohan Thomas, James D’silva and Amal Abraham
Liposuction as the word suggests involves sucking out fat from the subcutaneous layers. In many parts of the world it is used interchangeably with weight loss and non-surgical fat reduction procedures. The gold standard for liposuction for many decades has been the “Suction assisted Liposuction’ also called SAL. Newer technologies have been introduced with varied claims about skin retraction, painless and complete evacuation of fat as well as a faster recovery. This chapter elaborates the personal experience of the Authors with regards to the discussed newer technologies bringing into perspective their indications, mechanism of action as well as clinical outcomes. At the outset the Authors would like to state emphatically that technologies are as good as the surgeon holding them and that somewhat same result can be achieved through a traditional liposuction in most of the cases. A surgeon looking to incorporate these technologies in practice should first achieve a mastery of traditional SAL for the best outcomes.
APYX® MEDICAL DISCLOSURES:
FINANCIAL & CONTENT DISCLOSURE
The authors declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and publication of this article. No funding was received for this article. Drs DiBernardo, Bharti, and Kortesis are paid consultants for Apyx Medical, and Dr Duncan is a member of Apyx Medical’s Medical Advisory Board. The opinions contained herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of Apyx Medical, Inc.
Apyx Medical manufactures and owns the Renuvion®/J-Plasma® technology discussed in this article.
INDICATIONS FOR USE & INTENDED USE DISCLOSURES
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended for the delivery of radiofrequency energy and/or helium plasma for cutting, coagulation, and ablation of soft tissue during open surgical procedures.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is indicated for use in subcutaneous dermatological and aesthetic procedures to improve the appearance of lax (loose) skin in the neck and submental region.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended to be used with compatible electrosurgical generators owned by Apyx Medical (specifically BVX-200H, BVX-200P, APYX-200H, APYX-200P, APYX-RS3, and APYX-JS3).
- Apyx Medical wants to present you with current scientific discourse. Specific usage outside of the cleared indications may not be safe or effective.
- The use of Renuvion with liposuction has not been approved or cleared by the FDA.
- As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use. Risk associated with the use of the Renuvion APR may include: helium embolism into the surgical site due to inadvertent introduction into the venous or arterial blood supply system, unintended burns (deep or superficial), pneumothorax, temporary or permanent nerve injury, ischemia, fibrosis, infection, pain, discomfort, gas buildup resulting in temporary and transient crepitus or pain, bleeding, hematoma, seroma, subcutaneous induration, pigmentation changes, increased healing time, scarring, asymmetry and/or unacceptable cosmetic result.
As with any procedure, individual results may vary. As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use, refer to the IFU for further information.