Jonathon S. Jundt, DDS, MD, Jose M. Marchena, DMD, MD, Issa Hanna, DDS, Jagtar Dhanda, BDS, MFDS RCS(Eng), MBBS, MRCS(Eng), FRCS(OMFS), PhD, Matthew J. Breit, DMD, Andrew P. Perry, DDS
- Improved technologies for tissue cutting increase surgical precision, reduce or eliminate thermal injury of adjacent tissues, reduce blood loss, decrease operating time, and may improve outcomes.
- Modern ultrasonic cutting devices reduce the extent of adjacent thermal injury of bone as well as thermal and mechanical injury of surrounding soft tissues compared with traditional rotary instruments or saws.
- Plasma beams used as cutting devices have been shown to cut with equal or more precision compared with conventional blades and generate reduced levels of thermal injury, inflammation, and scarring compared with conventional electrosurgery.
- Waterjet dissection allows for precise dissection and ablation of tissues without generating heat and without causing significant structural injury to nerves and vessels.
- The application of Rapid Ionization Evaporative Mass Spectroscopy of surgical smoke generated by electrocautery is currently undergoing human clinical trials to allow for real-time detection of tumor and assessment of surgical margins.
APYX® MEDICAL DISCLOSURES:
FINANCIAL & CONTENT DISCLOSURE
The authors declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and publication of this article. No funding was received for this article. Drs DiBernardo, Bharti, and Kortesis are paid consultants for Apyx Medical, and Dr Duncan is a member of Apyx Medical’s Medical Advisory Board. The opinions contained herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of Apyx Medical, Inc.
Apyx Medical manufactures and owns the Renuvion®/J-Plasma® technology discussed in this article.
INDICATIONS FOR USE & INTENDED USE DISCLOSURES
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended for the delivery of radiofrequency energy and/or helium plasma for cutting, coagulation, and ablation of soft tissue during open surgical procedures.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is indicated for use in subcutaneous dermatological and aesthetic procedures to improve the appearance of lax (loose) skin in the neck and submental region.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended to be used with compatible electrosurgical generators owned by Apyx Medical (specifically BVX-200H, BVX-200P, APYX-200H, APYX-200P, APYX-RS3, and APYX-JS3).
- Apyx Medical wants to present you with current scientific discourse. Specific usage outside of the cleared indications may not be safe or effective.
- The use of Renuvion with liposuction has not been approved or cleared by the FDA.
- As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use. Risk associated with the use of the Renuvion APR may include: helium embolism into the surgical site due to inadvertent introduction into the venous or arterial blood supply system, unintended burns (deep or superficial), pneumothorax, temporary or permanent nerve injury, ischemia, fibrosis, infection, pain, discomfort, gas buildup resulting in temporary and transient crepitus or pain, bleeding, hematoma, seroma, subcutaneous induration, pigmentation changes, increased healing time, scarring, asymmetry and/or unacceptable cosmetic result.
As with any procedure, individual results may vary. As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use, refer to the IFU for further information.