Vaishali Doolabh, MD
Body contouring with liposuction has evolved significantly from the early approach of simply debulking excess fatty tissue, to affecting the mechanical properties of different tissue types and layers. Operative paradigms have been expanded to apply energy-based technologies intraoperatively to provide more uniform aspiration, selective fatty tissue emulsification in soft and fibrous body areas, minimize trauma to nerves and vessels, expose the fibrous septal network, reduce operator fatigue and help deliver smooth shapes with less discomfort and bruising. Advanced refinements with the delivery of monopolar and bipolar radiofrequency energy for soft tissue heating have been shown to reduce the residual soft tissue laxity that often follows voluminous fat removal. The Renuvion® Apyx® Medical, Clearwater, FL) radiofrequency powered helium plasma technology introduces an emerging concept in which the delivery of subdermal thermal energy preferentially coagulates the fascia and fibrous septal network through a conductive helium plasma stream seeking the path of least resistance, which in turn results in collagen contraction and tissue shrinkage that permits re-draping of the skin and enhanced definition. The physics and mechanics of Renuvion subdermal soft tissue coagulation will be presented, along with clinical applications that have provided the authors more contouring finesse and has augmented liposuction outcomes.
APYX® MEDICAL DISCLOSURES:
FINANCIAL & CONTENT DISCLOSURE
The authors declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and publication of this article. No funding was received for this article. Drs DiBernardo, Bharti, and Kortesis are paid consultants for Apyx Medical, and Dr Duncan is a member of Apyx Medical’s Medical Advisory Board. The opinions contained herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of Apyx Medical, Inc.
Apyx Medical manufactures and owns the Renuvion®/J-Plasma® technology discussed in this article.
INDICATIONS FOR USE & INTENDED USE DISCLOSURES
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended for the delivery of radiofrequency energy and/or helium plasma for cutting, coagulation, and ablation of soft tissue during open surgical procedures.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is indicated for use in subcutaneous dermatological and aesthetic procedures to improve the appearance of lax (loose) skin in the neck and submental region.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended to be used with compatible electrosurgical generators owned by Apyx Medical (specifically BVX-200H, BVX-200P, APYX-200H, APYX-200P, APYX-RS3, and APYX-JS3).
- Apyx Medical wants to present you with current scientific discourse. Specific usage outside of the cleared indications may not be safe or effective.
- The use of Renuvion with liposuction has not been approved or cleared by the FDA.
- As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use. Risk associated with the use of the Renuvion APR may include: helium embolism into the surgical site due to inadvertent introduction into the venous or arterial blood supply system, unintended burns (deep or superficial), pneumothorax, temporary or permanent nerve injury, ischemia, fibrosis, infection, pain, discomfort, gas buildup resulting in temporary and transient crepitus or pain, bleeding, hematoma, seroma, subcutaneous induration, pigmentation changes, increased healing time, scarring, asymmetry and/or unacceptable cosmetic result.
As with any procedure, individual results may vary. As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use, refer to the IFU for further information.