Diane Irvine Duncan, MD
Many energy sources have been utilized to optimize tissue behavior following traditional liposuction. Peer-reviewed data to date show that radiofrequency has been shown to cause more skin and soft tissue contraction than other energy sources. While external RF can improve skin quality and create new collagen formation, tissue contouring has not been successful with topical energy application. However, the use of subdermal RF has been utilized to generate directional shaping and contouring in addition to skin tightening. An understanding of the way soft tissue contracts over time as collagen fibers develop is based on both the science of soft tissue energy response and experience in treating large numbers of patients. The Apyx® Renuvion® device is 510(k) cleared for soft tissue coagulation. In most cases of facial and body contouring, the ability to add volume in specific regions is as important as the skill to remove it. Since some liposuction is commonly performed as a part of the Renuvion contouring process, frequently this lipoaspirate is used to augment focal depressions or areas of soft tissue atrophy. The recent development of mechanical processing of macrofat into smaller particles, as well as nanofat, has widened the scope of the use of adipose-derived tissue.
APYX® MEDICAL DISCLOSURES:
FINANCIAL & CONTENT DISCLOSURE
The authors declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and publication of this article. No funding was received for this article. Drs DiBernardo, Bharti, and Kortesis are paid consultants for Apyx Medical, and Dr Duncan is a member of Apyx Medical’s Medical Advisory Board. The opinions contained herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of Apyx Medical, Inc.
Apyx Medical manufactures and owns the Renuvion®/J-Plasma® technology discussed in this article.
INDICATIONS FOR USE & INTENDED USE DISCLOSURES
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended for the delivery of radiofrequency energy and/or helium plasma for cutting, coagulation, and ablation of soft tissue during open surgical procedures.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is indicated for use in subcutaneous dermatological and aesthetic procedures to improve the appearance of lax (loose) skin in the neck and submental region.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended to be used with compatible electrosurgical generators owned by Apyx Medical (specifically BVX-200H, BVX-200P, APYX-200H, APYX-200P, APYX-RS3, and APYX-JS3).
- Apyx Medical wants to present you with current scientific discourse. Specific usage outside of the cleared indications may not be safe or effective.
- The use of Renuvion with liposuction has not been approved or cleared by the FDA.
- As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use. Risk associated with the use of the Renuvion APR may include: helium embolism into the surgical site due to inadvertent introduction into the venous or arterial blood supply system, unintended burns (deep or superficial), pneumothorax, temporary or permanent nerve injury, ischemia, fibrosis, infection, pain, discomfort, gas buildup resulting in temporary and transient crepitus or pain, bleeding, hematoma, seroma, subcutaneous induration, pigmentation changes, increased healing time, scarring, asymmetry and/or unacceptable cosmetic result.
As with any procedure, individual results may vary. As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use, refer to the IFU for further information.