Vaishali Doolabh, MD
Although tumescent liposuction provides debulking of body areas with excess subcutaneous fat and concurrent skin laxity, the ability to shrink and redrape the skin and soft tissue for added definition has remained an elusive goal. Many modalities employed to facilitate fat removal utilizing light energy, ultrasonic energy, or radiofrequency energy have provided modest skin shrinkage. Apyx® Medical’s (formerly Bovie® Medical) Renuvion® (previously branded as J-Plasma®) has Food and Drug Administration clearance for the cutting, coagulation, and ablation of soft tissue. The objective of this retrospective chart review was to collect safety and procedural information for patients who have previously undergone liposuction with which Renuvion was used as a tool for subdermal coagulation. All procedures occurred before August 2018. Thirty-two patients were identified (3 male and 29 female). The mean follow-up was 6 months (range, 3–8 months). None of the patients required a revision or secondary procedure suggesting 100% of patients had acceptable final outcomes. No device-related adverse events or complications were noted, suggesting that within this data set, Renuvion’s unique cool helium plasma technology can safely be used for skin contraction with or without tumescent liposuction or supplemental modalities used to facilitate fat removal that may otherwise contribute to the skin contraction.
APYX® MEDICAL DISCLOSURES:
FINANCIAL & CONTENT DISCLOSURE
The authors declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and publication of this article. No funding was received for this article. Drs DiBernardo, Bharti, and Kortesis are paid consultants for Apyx Medical, and Dr Duncan is a member of Apyx Medical’s Medical Advisory Board. The opinions contained herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of Apyx Medical, Inc.
Apyx Medical manufactures and owns the Renuvion®/J-Plasma® technology discussed in this article.
INDICATIONS FOR USE & INTENDED USE DISCLOSURES
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended for the delivery of radiofrequency energy and/or helium plasma for cutting, coagulation, and ablation of soft tissue during open surgical procedures.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is indicated for use in subcutaneous dermatological and aesthetic procedures to improve the appearance of lax (loose) skin in the neck and submental region.
- The Renuvion APR Handpiece is intended to be used with compatible electrosurgical generators owned by Apyx Medical (specifically BVX-200H, BVX-200P, APYX-200H, APYX-200P, APYX-RS3, and APYX-JS3).
- Apyx Medical wants to present you with current scientific discourse. Specific usage outside of the cleared indications may not be safe or effective.
- The use of Renuvion with liposuction has not been approved or cleared by the FDA.
- As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use. Risk associated with the use of the Renuvion APR may include: helium embolism into the surgical site due to inadvertent introduction into the venous or arterial blood supply system, unintended burns (deep or superficial), pneumothorax, temporary or permanent nerve injury, ischemia, fibrosis, infection, pain, discomfort, gas buildup resulting in temporary and transient crepitus or pain, bleeding, hematoma, seroma, subcutaneous induration, pigmentation changes, increased healing time, scarring, asymmetry and/or unacceptable cosmetic result.
As with any procedure, individual results may vary. As with all energy devices there are inherent risks associated with its use, refer to the IFU for further information.